Hampshire continue fine One-Day Cup form with rain-interrupted win over Surrey

Legspinner Mason Crane grabbed 3-45 on his first appearance at the Ageas Bowl since making his Test debut over the winter before Rilee Rossouw blasted a memorable 90


Rilee Rossouw hit 90 for Hampshire against Surrey (stock image)

Ageas Bowl: Surrey 262-7, Hampshire 227-6 - Hampshire won by four wickets (DLS method)

Mason Crane and Rilee Rossouw starred as Hampshire continued their 100 per cent record in the Royal London One-Day Cup – as they edged out Surrey by four wickets.

Legspinner Crane grabbed 3-45 on his first appearance at the Ageas Bowl since making his Test debut over the winter before Rossouw blasted a memorable 90, and Joe Weatherley bundled Hampshire over the line, to condemned Surrey to their second defeat of the tournament.

Hampshire were set 227 to win from 34 overs, on DLS method, after Surrey had amassed 262 in 44 rain affected overs, thanks to Dean Elgar’s 91.

Rossouw and Hashim Amla set about the task enthusiastically, with the later creaming a series of cut shots to the boundary.

But the former South Africa Test captain, having helped put on 52 for the first wicket, was leg before to a Rikki Clarke ball that jagged in.

Rossouw then went on the attack, plunging Sam Curran and Clarke for maximums on the way to a 34-ball fifty.

Vince scored 14 in a 63-run partnership with Rossouw before was bowled by Gareth Batty while attempting to give himself space to drive.

Weatherley joined the swashbuckling Rossouw to add the third half century stand of the innings but Rossouw fell ten runs short of what would have been a deserved ton as he was bowled by Clarke.

Jimmy Adams and Brad Taylor both came and went, skying to Foakes and Meaker respectively, before Gareth Berg, who had received a reprieve as replays showed his edge behind hadn’t carried, was bowled – all three to Clarke.

Curran spilled Lewis McManus at third man before the wicket keeper batsman, along with Weatherley, 46 not out, edged Hampshire to victory with seven balls to spare.

Earlier, Rory Burns won the toss and elected to bat on a good looking wicket, which was to offer equal assistance for bat and ball, with both sides deciding to pick unchanged XIs from their opening matches.

England Under-19s star Will Jacks drove to a diving Jimmy Adams at short cover in the sixth over to bring Burns and Elgar together to add 93 for the second wicket.

Elgar produced a scrappy innings, full of swings across the line and dabs into gaps, but while it wouldn’t win any style points it proved effective.

The South African reached his half century from 50 balls before spinners Crane and Brad Taylor started the mid-innings squeeze.

Crane struck in three successive overs to have Burns, for a well-made 46, and Ollie Pope lbw before producing a devilish delivery to beat Ben Foakes outside his off-stump, with Lewis McManus completing the stumping.

While Crane was making the headline by taking wickets, Taylor was stopping the runs – their combined statistics a miserly 3-88 from 18 overs.

The fast bowlers returned and Fidel Edwards delivered a rising bouncer which bruised Sam Curran’s glove before being caught behind.

And then Gareth Berg had Elgar chopping on for 91, before the rain paused the game after 37.1 overs – eventually play resumed with the match cut to 44 overs a side.

From the remaining 6.5 overs, Surrey managed to score 64 runs, with Scott Borthwick and Clarke putting on 56, with the latter lbw to Edwards in the penultimate over but it wasn’t enough to prevent Rossouw’s fireworks.

Report courtesy of the ECB Reporters Network



STAY UP TO DATE Sign up to our weekly newsletter...

Thank You! Thank you for subscribing!


Court House, Cleaver Street, London SE11 4DZ


Welcome to www.thecricketer.com - the online home of the world’s oldest cricket magazine. Breaking news, interviews, opinion and cricket goodness from every corner of our beautiful sport, from village green to national arena.